Friday, December 12, 2008

Top 5 Gigs of 2008!

It's been a fucking good year for live music in my books, I was able to see three of my all time favourite bands, two in which I was sure I never would get the chance..

So when I decided to write this Top 5 I didn't realise how much work I had ahead of me.

I've seen so many shows this year, the biggest acts in the world, to the smallest acts in Sydney and I'm not surprised that the little guys are making my list!

UNO.
ARCADE FIRE - ENMORE THEATRE 23/01/08 - Big Day Out.
Probably the best gig I've ever seen.
Intimate and in the front row I got to witness close up and personal the magic that is Arcade Fire.
No doubt one of my most favourite bands, I was ecstatic when treated to all my favourite tracks.
Opening the show with the illuminating 'Wake Up' and closing with an intense cover of Violent Femmes 'Kiss Off' with next to no instruments or sound .. My mouth was on the floor.
AGAIN AGAIN AGAIN. I'd kill.
Here is a moment I will never forget - god bless youtube. It gets going at 1:37


DOS.
SMASHING PUMPKINS - V Fest March
After spending most of angst ridden teenage years scribbling the lyrics from 'Siamese Dream' in my journal, I never thought I would ever get the chance to see them. Ever. It was up there with Nirvana as far as I was concerned.
To witness a mass of people chanting the lyrics to 'Today' reduced me to tears. I had been waiting for that day for almost half my life.
Many people will tell you it was shit, because they played new material which I fucking love so eh.. but it was an unexplainable moment in time to witness a musical god with a crowd in his palm and war peddle at his feet. I could even forgive them for leaving 'Zero' off the set list and playing Britney instead ;)


TRES.
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE - Big Day Out Sydney
Another on the list of 'never going to see just give it up' however thanks to a year of solid comebacks the 90's alt gods blessed our shores headlining the Big Day Out.
Due to Bjork pulling out they played right after Arcade Fire and if I wasn't already in an amazing mood this sure as hell topped it off.
Opening with 'Testify' as it gently sprinkled rain upon the raging crowd, RATM were better than I could of ever imagined and ticked off one of my most life changing gigs yet.

QUATRO.
CHILDREN COLLIDE - The Metro - June?
I'm going to give this to a support act.
You don't expect your support on a bill to steal the show, but Children Collide pulled the rug out from under Grinspoon sometime in June.
I've now had the pleasure of seeing these guys four times but the show I am referring to was the second.
I was utterly hypnotized in the intense riffs and killer light show in sync with Johnny's rhythmic guitar spasms. Instrumentals and solid performances of the standard 'Cannibal' and 'Amphibious' it finessed as soon as it started and I couldn't get over the spectacle. It truly was CC at their best.

CINCO.
CAT POWER ENMORE THEATRE & Parades - The Annandale
Fifth spot is a tie between Cat Power & Parades.
The reason for this is because Cat Power, though amazing in performance, her voice as haunting as it is sweet, I was in the WORST mood during this gig.
I simply had so much trouble enjoying myself and really wasn't present for the gig.
However,when I think back, with vocals as smooth and husky and a room in awe of brilliant echo, her performance really was breathtaking.
And the runner up is Parades - My most favourite Sydney band!
Back in June these guys were playing at The Annandale in between acts such as Dappled Cities and The Seabellies and to tell you the truth, the small sets performed in intermission of tore up these headline acts in my opinion.
I've mentioned this gig before, and it still takes my breath away. Small room, beer on the floor, these guys playing meters away from the bar but worlds away from any other alternate band in Sydney right now, they really brought it.
I still remember just standing still in bouts of awe even after the band had clearly disappeared from sight. Killer. Intimate. Real music.

I've missed out so many shows and it was really hard to pick but these shows were the life changers :)
Let's hope I am as lucky next year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Polyphonic Spree @ Metro
Clockcleaner @ Louies
Dappled @ OAF
Adam Green @ OAF
Air @ V Fest

Baaaaaaaaaw i hate lists. My memory is too shit