Monday, April 20, 2009

Tonight - Franz Ferdinand

Just another perfectly packaged indie pop collection from the popular Scottish four-piece.

This backhanded compliment might come as a shock, (yes, I mean it with mild malice) but could this band be an safer?

'Tonight' has enough high rotated hits to keep Apple commercials fresh for at least the next three months and of course enough 'edgy' one liners for all those kids on Facebook to self indulge.

Why am I so negative towards this release? Well I just think it's a possibility that never putting a foot wrong can be nothing other than boring. It's too the same, too polished, too clean.

If it ain't broke why fix it right? Wrong. I'm a firm believer in taking risks, I'm a Radiohead fan after all. I like my records to show maturity, change in direction and musical exploration.

In saying that, of course the songs aren't completely shit. They're catchy and easy, I suppose I just wanted more from their third record.


If it's the same turd every time, will the kids still buy it? Yes, yes they will. Somewhere in Scottland these four men must be laughing in all their money.

I agree with The Brag review in saying that 'Tonight' is all hairtcut and no soul.

No comments: