Thursday, August 6, 2009

'United States of Eurasia' - New Muse Single

Um.
Take a few years off, take an acid trip, see Freddie Mercury in a vision, wake up and decide to redo a sound so sacred no one will know what to think of you.
That's all I can think of..
I'm a firm believer in 'it's not where you take it from, but where you take it to', but this is just a blatant mimicry of a sound already famous by Queen decades ago.
'United States of Eurasia' sounds like a B-side from and old Queen record, or some kind of hybrid of 'We Are The Champions' and 'Bohemian Rhapsody'.
Matthew Bellamy is no stranger to imitation, with many Radiohead fans slating the fellow UK rocker having shamelessly imitated vocals prominent to Radiohead front man Thom Yorke's famous falsetto on some of Muse's early records.

Muse are certainly a brilliant band in their own right, and honestly one of my favourites. I just wish they stuck with their original sound, think 'Origin of Symmetry' and 'Hullabaloo', or even the acclaimed 'Absolution' record. This new stuff really isn't doing it for me, and even though 'Black Holes and Revelations' wasn't awful, it did slightly put me off of my Muse phase. I like new direction, as I've mentioned in the past, I'm a Radiohead fan but I mean, if you're going to change your sound, do it to your own tune, in your own right. Don't rip off mega sounds just because you played a few Wembley Stadium gigs.

If I'd never heard a Queen record in my life, maybe I'd like this. But it's just big show bullshit and just another power rock ballad for Bellamy to belt out at one his huge overpriced stadium gigs. I remember in 2004 when a select few people knew who Muse were and my Dad used to make me Muse mix CD's, it was all so modest talent then and not sell out Guitar Hero bullshit.

Listen to it below..
I'm cranky.


No comments: