Thursday, May 14, 2009

Just and inch of what's keeping me sane.. Silversun Pickups!

A lot of people are partial to implying Silversun Pickups are a mere imitation of the melancholy expertise that is, well was Smashing Pumpkins. Sure I can see the similarity, the soft feminine vocals that are not harsh nor severe, washed with riffs of angst driven temperament.
All similarity aside, I've always liked Silversuns because of their sound, and yeah I am a SP fan but I'm not offended by the influence in their music.

'Swoon' is an angrier side of the Californian rockers, and you can tell with the opening track 'There's No Secrets This Year'. The record breaks open with a riff you'd expect off of a Pumpkins b-side. But the lyrical depth is different, I could go on comparing but I'm sick of it. Let's look at it as though it's its own release, relax.. you'll enjoy it more.

It's a bit dirtier than 'Canarvas' and I like that. The first single off of the record is 'Panic Switch' which is no 'Lazy Eye' as it were but definitely holds some weight. My only criticism is that this record is not particularly memorable as it is just good. I suppose my opinion is a bit wishy-washy but I think as far as music goeth, Siversun Pickups aren't doing anything different, they're just good. Good is great in this day and age, what with all the shit spewing out onto the airwaves these days.

I get angry about new music, I mean it's a bit rude to say but it just isn't what it used to be anymore. Where's the "fuck you"?.. I want a big fucking revolution. I am not going to commence a soap box induced rant about how music was better before I was born.. I'm just sayin'..

Either way, this record is worthy of a hard copy purchase. It's not wanky, pretentious or bullshit. It's a good record start to finish. Put it on and read a book. I give 'Swoon' three and a half OWM stars and below is one of my favourite of the the follow-up. Enjoy.

No comments: