Friday, May 29, 2009

Yves Klein Blue - May 28th @ Supper Club

So I remember once I wrote their bio for MTV and I remember they actually got their start through said worldwide music channel during one of their 'Unearthed-esque' competitions called Kickstart.
From memory they won about two years ago but I'd never heard a whole lot of them until their catchy little number 'Polka' appeared on some car add on free to air.
I remember my boyfriend liking it and pointing it out at the time, though I never remember what the add was about I always jumped around a little in my chair.

So last night the foursome took to the stage at the Oxford Hotels Supper Club, an elegant (maybe even too nice for me) venue where waitstaff actually bring out tapas and so forth. I felt out of place but basically it was a Thursday night hull for the who's who of the industry with some big shots from Channel V and other local idependent artist and scenesters filling the room.

The invite said there was due to be no support and that the gig would kick off at 8pm. Never one to be late, fellow blogger Reel-around-the-fountain and I conversed of some very tall glass beers and waited for the band to take the small level stage.

At around about 8:30pm the four YKB boys made their way through the crowd and affectionately kissed fans and friends on the cheek and shook hands along the way. I always love it when bands keep it personal.

I've never really been a fan though all songs were new, aside from 'Polka', I honestly wouldn't of known. Front man Michael Tomlinson fashionably dones the old school flapper haircut, straight edge and stern browed he's absolutely fierce. The kick off and already I'm doing my boarder line retarded knee dance that I do when I like what I'm hearing.

The songs are solid and I'm enthralled. I can see friends around the room but it's hard to make eye contact because everyone can't stop staring at Tomlinson and he can't stop staring at you.. He actually doesn't really blink and bares the infamous Ian Curtis nature, that almost epileptic look in the eyes and you can hear him giving every song his absolute all, songs often ending in gasps of exasperation.

It's been sometime since I've seen a performer so immersed in the upbeat yet deeper than the service lyrics. You almost feel exhausted watching them yet you can't look away.

Every song is perfect, sometimes bearing obvious influences such as Modest Mouse and even commented Vampire Weekend-esque new tracks.

The highlight of the show would have to be a solo performance Tomlinson provided acoustically about some past romantic endeavor. The lyrics are so genuine and I mean the role of an artist is to make you believe what he's singing, what he felt when he wrote it and I fucking do when this guy sings. I actually found my mouth on the ground when he utters the words "I care about the future, I do".

'Ragged and Ecstatic' is due out this June and their new single 'Getting Wise' just release on the 22nd of May.
I will buy this record. No doubt.

It was so refreshing to catch a band who aren't so full of themselves and offer to hang round for beers after the show and actually insist we don't wander off aimlessly to the kebab store.

You must see them live to see what they're about, though catchy on track it's just something you need to appreciate. Artists who are clever and give a fuck.

Listen to the vibe here;
http://www.myspace.com/yveskleinbluemusic

Or go to their website for ticket information for when these cats will be playing near you!
www.yveskleinblue.com/