Sunday, November 14, 2010

Farewell Powderfinger

Alright, so I'm not going to lie.. Somewhere in my room back at home, amongst all my discarded PJ pants three sizes too small and polly pockets lies a Powderfinger record or two. I'm by no means their greatest fan. I saw them twice, once at BDO and at that Silverchair double show they did years ago, both times I was greatly underwhelmed. I should have been stoned.
I'm sitting back as the Australian media swarms at the ankles of "Aussie rock gods" now Powderfinger have finally split (two records later than they should have). The Brisbane band played their last set ever (John Farhnam, anyone?) yesterday and everyone is acting like it's Crowded House on the Opera House steps again. I am not going to say they didn't write some good songs over the years but I have to say their generic charm was long lost on me post 'Vulture Street' and my year ten certificate.
I think it's a perfect example of "It's better to burn out, than fade away." I am sure we will be treated to a slew of solo work and more hits than your trades Ute can handle.
I think the point I am trying to make is that Powderfinger will not be missed by me and though I respect their past work, I really think that Australian music scene is sick if our biggest export is just another state band doing regional tours for fifteen years.

No comments: