Monday, November 22, 2010

Single of the Week


You might imagine the variety of demos my inbox delivers and though some songs just take a few listens before the music really takes hold, I know a hit when I stumble across one. Today the debut single 'Exit The System' from Brisbane's threesome The Moniters landed safely in my hands and I am one happy little blogger.

The Moniters are comprised of frontman Jimi Lucas, drummer Matt Schrader and bassist Barney Gickel, the three band members met at a Killers concert a few years ago and have been recording demos with Jack and cigarettes ever since. This year the lads have been working closely with Melbourne based producer Forrester Savell (Dead Letter Circus, Birds of Tokyo) stringing together their debut EP 'Sex City Lovers' due out in 2011.

My first thoughts of 'Exit The System' was that the track is dirty, sexy and electric. The more I listen to the verses, the more I hear elements of Paul Banks in Lucas's vocals, it's quick and immediately catchy. Quite personally, I'm not the biggest 'electro' fan but this sound is a step in the right direction for electro rock. More rock than "magic fountain", The Moniters deliver a little bit more edge into this saturated market.

Give the track a spin and also check The Moniters east coast tour dates riiight here.

1 comment:

Deoxymoron said...

Cool Tune :D

Cheers :D

Definitely shades of Banks/Curtis
Good to see some Post-Punk type music coming out of Aus

Have you picked up Stonefields EP? I am very impressed with it