Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Let's talk Splendour two thousand and nine.

Firstly, can I say what potential this line-up could of had? Some of the biggest names in music have dropped new releases this year, for instance; Sonic Youth, Placebo, PJ Harvey and Silversun Pickups to say briefly. What's up with Splendour? Your headline acts have been seamless for years and out of Murphy's law of some other twist shit vs fan I get MGMT? Bah, curses.

I'm bitter because my heart was set on Sonic Youth, and a few music insiders had dropped Radiohead into the mix alongside Oasis and other mega-bands. So when I got Splendour veterans Bloc Party, which if you ask me, peaked in 2005 and the new Britney Spears mixed with ecstasy MGMT, well I had a sour taste in my mouth.

I'm not completely hating, I mean you.. sure, depending on timetable clashes, you will probably see me at both of these acts but seriously? I'd be disappointed if I had been a Splendour go'er for for the last few years and having to be subject to the same headlining bands three out of the last five years. But weren't Bloc Party here in November and MGMT in December? I don't know.. I just don't get it..

Let's talk about the good things for instance, The Flaming Lips.
Need I say more? Okay, fake blood, explosions, fire and giant balls? Does it sound good? Or just a normal Flaming lips gig.. the latter. You're going to lose your fucking mind. I've been watching clips all day.. and you won't even need drugs, though it will be nice.. just don't freak-out and fuck it up for your mates. You'll never see anything like it... but here's a taste.



And that's a tiny treat.

Who else am I down for? There's definitely a lot, considering the sour start to thing blog..
Happy Mondays. Straight for Joy Divisions Manchester punk movement days, incarnated several times and still kicking, not straight-jackted or dead. Bring your psychedelics please.

I'm excited for Friendly Fires, The Specials, and I will definitely see Bluejuice as they're always a lot of fun.. Probs Little Red and no doubt Dappled Cities, definitely Yves Klein Blue (They're amazing), always see my friends Children Collide and the drum role please... Manchester Orchestra. It'll blow your fucking mind. 'Mean Everything To Nothing' is a fucking brilliant record as to their previous work.

Even though Sonic Youth can't be there, to name a few misses there is certainly enough hits to keep me going. What do you think of the complete line-up? Will I see you there? No pants, just drugs and a hotdog in hand? Hope so!

No comments: