Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The Temper Trap - Conditions - for Marc.

I once paid $15 for one of Temper Traps shows back in like, December..
I stayed there for the opening act and was so drunk I forgot where I was and left for another show. What a mistake.

The Temper Trap have been on of those bands over the last six months that have been creeping all over my muso-dar and I've been too lazy to follow up. They've been at pubs and clubs all within vicinity, at festivals I've been at and just in my big stupid face.

Last week I was talking to a friend of mine from Melbourne and when I asked who he was listening to right then, he mentioned these kids. I ignored it and went on my merry way listening to old Bright Eyes and everything else I'm still not over. Then another Melbourne kid sent me an email deeming their new record 'Conditions' as "crap" going on to say,

" I was a huge fan, but the record is disappointing. The indie sound was what it was because it was raw and not gleaming from polish. The record is just another pop piece of crap, they've released a flavour of the month. Shame."

This prompted more curiosity so I wandered into Hum on Oxford last Saturday to pick up 'The Eternal' by Sonic Youth and well, that's a whole other story.. But I searched for 'Conditions' and due to ignorance, simply couldn't see it so I almost give up and then there is is for $24.95. I'm used to JB prices and I normally only pay 20 and down for records I'm not that partial to. So I put it down and go to the DVD stand and aimlessly browse through Hums collection of odd tittles. I'm really enjoying the store vibe and keep half listening to the soundtrack over the speakers. I keep saying to myself, "I like this, I like this, must ask who it us." like an idiot. After about 20 minutes I figure it out and awkwardly go and pick up 'Conditions' for the second time and purchase it for the full $24.95, however get a free t-shirt to boot thanks to the gents at Hum.

Anyway, so I put the record on already knowing I'm going to enjoy it and I do. Start to finish. It is polished, smooth and I like it because it makes good background music to me. It sounds like a back-handed compliment and it really isn't. I personally think the song are good, especially 'Resurrection', and the obvious 'Fader' but I see a lot of potential in 'Science Of Fear' which always gets my attention with it's lyrics when I'm not really paying attention.

The records transitions are smooth, and it's even spread and not top-heavy which is my biggest peeve in records today. 'Conditions' comes to a close with the lads instrumental piece appropriately titled 'Drum Song' which I like quite a fucking bit. It was actually the first song I did my manifested "ohh" and checked the song title, which I do in reference for weeding out playlist additions. I was actually disappointed it was the end of the record.

I need to see The Temper Trap do their thing, and would basically wet myself if they opened with 'Drum Song' as opposed to obviously closing with it. I'm so bored of bands going out with drum solos from over-zealous lead singers. I liked it when Parades did it June 08. I'm tired now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is the worst corporate hype band to come out of Australia in ten years . By no means the best by along shot ...Sorry guys heard it all before , see you next year,um Temper who?, cant remember must of been a fad. later.

Racheal.