Friday, September 5, 2008

The Drums, The Drums, The Drums..

On Wednesday I attended the Triple J Rooftop Party at which The Ting Tings performed as a once of special in Sydney. Majority of guests were tickets winners via the radio station, like myself. Boy was the crowd weird. A few hipsters, roving journalists pestering for interviews and well just a lot of old guys..

More importantly about the show, it was an early set, I'd say they came on at about 8pm and were off after 20 minutes. Now in their defense, The Salford Precinct duo had just arrived off the back of a grueling flight from The U.K and openly mentioned they were severely jet lagged, so it was short and sweet.
An incredible start, the performance died in the arse when closing with their biggest hit thus far 'That's Not My Name". By this point, both were in a sweat but Katie White had trouble keeping up with the backing track and at many points, I noticed her eyes rolling back in her head. It looked more like verge of passing out of exhaustion than just poor effort in performance.

Though there is a lot of reliance on backing tracks with most of the songs from the debut album 'We started Nothing', the sound is great with White delivering fierce cutting chic vocals. Confident on stage and pretty tight, apart from 'That's Not My Name', I'm sure they would kick off a show perfectly and with ease if they were 100%.

The Duo even inserted little gimmicks I guess they use regularly on stage. One consisted of completely freezing in mid air in the middle of 'We Walk'. Drummer Jules de Martino, stopping still with drumsticks in the air and White paused with a Mallet just inches away from a self titled assembled drum kit... To which you guessed it, she beat the drum impromtuously . Sigh, how I despise this, Especially when you could hardly hear it and it was out of time.

I know it sounds like I have few nice things to say, it's just I expected more from a once of performance. It was enjoyable, though I think I was making mental notes the whole time which is pretty distracting to vibe.
My favourite performance would have to be 'Shut Up & Let Me Go'. For short songs, they gave them a good run. This song really reminds me of Blondie and the essence of 'Rapture', no doubt an influence.

Would I see them again and pay? Yeah, sure, why not?
The talent is there, the songs are banging, all and all they're the best new age Pop act in my opinion, or that I can appreciate. I would just like to witness their magic sans jet lag.

Thank you United Kingdom for the pleasure of music you still continue to deliver effortlessly.

P.S. Terrible photo by my shitty Sidekick.
P.P.S. How gumby is this photo from www.inthemix.com.au

No comments: