Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Click Click CAMERAS!

Delayed, but oh sooo worthy.

About 2 months ago I was reading, Drum Media or was it The Brag? One of the likes and in a tiny, itsy bitsy blurb I saw the names Cat Power and Radiohead. Now, these titles are like food to a homeless person to my eyes so I read the blurb for proper inspection and of course to check the names were not used in vain.

It went on to read how this Sydney band was a talent collision of the two prestigious sounds, that of melancholy, whimsical vocals and alternate bars and synthesis. If you know me, I instantly became wet at the though of something that magical deriving from out local Sydney suburbs.

Turns out, lead singer and keys artist Eleanor Dunlop is Triple J unearthed alum. The talented songstress has intended on going solo for some time though when Fraser Harvey (vocals, guitar) pressed the idea of starting a band for the last time Dunlop conceded to the idea. With Ben Kingssott (drums) in tow, they were then ‘Cameras’. Rad.

Anyway, after obsessing about these guys for months I finally caught wind of a show they were doing at The Hopetoun. I was on that train so fast I am pretty sure I left my keys inside, which I do a lot.

The three piece were competing in the Hopetoun Homebake Incentive, which takes place every Monday up until well, Homebake.

The first song they played is by far my favourite ‘Defeatist’, which features Harvey predominately on vocals and Dunlop harmonizing in the background. The contrast and dissimilarity between male and female vocal harmonies always portray that effortless edge of melody.

'The Bolshelviks' is a second favourite. It bears a more psychedelic influence, that of The Rolling Stones and old rock and roll. It's a considerable variation from the other tracks but isn't too left field and just picks you up if you're doing a roll through all the tracks.

Most songs feature focuses mainly Dunlop on vocals as her huskily smooth voice as sexy as that of Chan Marshall. Her haunting melodies lull you into some kind if indie hypnosis.

CAMERAS.
See them, you'll know what I mean and their Myspace player creates excellent ambiance for the whimsically sleepy.

Check them out here;


No comments: