Wednesday, November 5, 2008

From The U.K to Kalifornia - The Subways


Ladies and gentlemen, I write to you from a grimy train on its way to the often-misunderstood Gosford City, and often referred to by me as, well G-town. Fortunately, this entry is far more appealing!

The Subways. I love them, I love them.
They played at Big Day Out in January 2006 and because I was ignorant enough to make no effort due to unheard sounds, I missed them. In Early March I heard a song in Sanity that just grabbed me. I had to have ‘Young For Eternity’. So in saying that I confirm that yes, most advertising does work on me.

I took the record home and sure enough, every other song rocked me. I was going through a messy break-up at the time and though I had learnt the singer was actually engaged to the saucy bass player, they touched the torture and frustration of love so bitterly, I could just relate.

The raw energy of ‘I Want To Hear What You’ve Got To Say’ still executes me. Though that time in my life had passed and that angst of someone not loving you back had disappeared, I can still feel it in my stomach.

The 2006 release suffered an extreme case of high rotation and received plays from multiple car stereos, which resulted in the loss of the disc, leaving me only with the case. Nothing burns me more that a scratched CD. Utter disrespect to a rarity, some people feel the same, someone I know would burn copies of all his records for the pure suicide of the disc traveling. He also hated this CD, which doesn’t surprise me it was his car it disappeared in..? Hmm.

Other than the plays it amounted from moi, The Subways remained frightenly quiet in Australia. Hailing from the U.K, I often questioned if they’d be back and when the news broke of the split between Billy Lunn (guitar/vocals) & Charlotte Cooper (bass) honestly doubted another record let alone a show.

Thankfully, the two somehow (and I just don’t know how they could be in a room together let alone a band) co-wrote music throughout the break-up and produced the new record ‘All or nothing’.

It amazes me and I can hear the pain in songs like ‘Shake Shake’. You can witness the need for attention yet the anger. The lyrics “I got a need to feel so I shake, shake! You got a problem with me say it” that run over an angry riff personifies the hostility not only in the band during the split but even the relationship itself.
I just love the repetition of “I COULDN’T CARE IF WE LOSE”. And I can’t help to think if this was penned in the event of the demised union.

I just fucking love these guys and I’m normally anxious of Vines’esque follow-up but the U.K kids have prevailed and are coming to Australia in 2009!

I will die.

No comments: