Tuesday, November 18, 2008

You And Your Little Dog Too!

So my blog is pretty new, and I am still getting used to all that comes along with it, this includes criticism and open argument.

Yesterday I posted the below entry about Aussie rockers The Vines and I received some notable feedback which at first I didn't know quite how to take it, however I felt I didn't make myself clear.

Mental illness is a serious matter, so serious it is not something I take lightly nor something I base my music values on.

My blog below doesn't point the break down of the rock machine that is The Vines at mental disease or illness, but a troubled past and continuous chances post erratic behaviour.

Whatever the cause is behind The Vines pulling out of their tours, they are conducting their music and their lives in a public media sphere, ergo anything they do or do not do is subject to criticism to the public, no matter the cause.

We all watched the famous meltdown of Ms. Britney Spears late last year and you know what? Shit happens and when people act erratically in public or let down fans alas the backlash will no doubt follow.

Now my blog is just a place for me to review, and shout out bands I like and believe you me, it's not something I'd "quit my day job" for. However my day job is at MTV Australia where I am a published music news writer so I like to think I know a little about "what not to write".

If every blog was as ego stroking as the next don't you think you'd be a little bored? You're not going to agree with everything I write but in saying that I regret if I offended anybody who suffers mental illness or knows someone who does.

Be unmerciful. Be Honest. Be cool.

Sincerely wishing Craig all the good help he can get not to mention a speedy recovery, who knows, maybe I'm wrong?
:)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"We all watched the famous meltdown of Ms. Britney Spears late last year and you know what? Shit happens and when people act erratically in public or let down fans alas the backlash will no doubt follow."

You see, i'd blame this on the cult of celebrity and unreal expectations of perfection from a human being rather than Spears letting down her fans. Celebrity worship and unrealistic expectations drive said stars to insanity and erratic behavior.Spears was launched into the public spotlight when she was 16 at the mercy of her mother and people get surprised when these people lose touch with reality.

Anonymous said...

I think she was making the point of erratic behaviour in the spotlight generates backlash no matter who you are.

Also, backlash in the press can effect the fan base as well as canceling tours. Both can be viewed as equal ways of letting down fans?

Not to mention Craig is guilty of both.


Hope he gets better.

Anonymous said...

What do these people owe to their fans anyway? The music industry has really gone to hell. When the Sex Pistols - God Save The Queen came out it was not played, it was dogged in the media and when it went to #1 it was taken off the charts as if there was no #1. The best thing the vines ever did was abuse the triple M crowd. At least it showed that image didn't drive them.

Anonymous said...

The Vines are an awful, awful band.

Nicholls is nothing but a pretender.

The sooner he is out of the industry, the better.