Saturday, September 18, 2010

Big Don't Care -- a rant similar to last year.

Pending speculation Tool would be headlining Australia's washed-up festival Big Day Out, it appears we were completely off the scent. Thanks to Danny Clayton's royal fuck up last night on his Twitter, it appears Californian 90's band Blink 182 with be taking the notch at the top of 2011's bill.
Do you care? I don't know if I do. It's been a good six or more years since the Big Day Out boasted a line-up worth writing home about. I still think in terms of all star bills, Ken West hasn't pulled anything reasonable since 2004 when Metallica, The Strokes, The Darkness and a junior Muse took to the national tour.
Sure, there's been great moments since, think Arcade Fire, TV on the Radio, R.A.T.M and Neil Young, but it all appears lukewarm with a wash of repeats and lackluster artists taking up space. I begin to wonder if they even care anymore?
In terms of line-up value, I think Splendour in the Grass is probably Australia's most prestigious festival-- followed closely by Falls Music & Arts Festival which is usually hand in hand with Southbound due to timing. BDO just doesn't come close anymore, which is sad because this would be my seventh year attending but after last year, I promised myself I wouldn't go again unless the list boasted Arcade Fire and free beer shot to crowds via large hoses, maybe an appearance from Nirvana and free drugs? I just don't think I'll go.. but we will see.

What do you think? Is Big Day Out still part of your Summer festival must do's or do you just. not. give. a. shit?

2 comments:

erin Cook said...

i think it's much more complicated then Lees & West being too lazy or whatever. there's a huge amount of festivals in the Aus. summer now and of course there wouldn't be enough headlining acts to go around. PS <3 yo' lay out.

Dana said...

just find out about this blog by tumblr.

my english is very bad but I decided to take the risk and write anyway. I'm from Santiago de Chile, we are celebrating our Bicentenary; most chileans are pretty wasted right now, and I'm here reading some of your stuff and having a good time on my own (well, there's also other reasons -say, hangover-). anyway, I'm delighted

well, that's it
just wanted to say something

I'm Dana, by the way

good night
(18/10/2010 23:39 PM, Chile)