Monday, September 27, 2010

OWM Catches Up With Thomas of Papa VS Pretty



Cast your mind back to the depths of your alcohol abuse somewhere back in 2008. If you're an old reader, you may be familiar with my obsession with Sydney's Papa VS Pretty, and may have thought I was talking smack, well my devout followers, I preach no bullshit. The three piece have just been signed to EMI's sub label Peace & Riot and are cutting their first album.
I caught up with frontman Thomas Rawle to see what's behind the magic of Papa VS Pretty and why they're not just about edgy looks, but great music.

Since the release of 'Heavy Harm' in August, Papa VS Pretty have become regulars on the Triple J playlist, and I hear you were even featured on Video Hits one morning - how have you found the reaction?

It's been good! It's really reassuring to have folks like Triple J get on board, I'm really thankful that the record has been embraced by them. FBi play it as well which is fantastic, they've played all our EP's so it felt great that they liked this one as well. The clips gotten some airtime on TV as well which is strange, I saw the 'Heavy Harm' clip on Rage one night and almost spilt my tea haha.

'Heavy Harm' was the first release for EMI sub label Peace & Riot, was there a lot of pressure for this single to be a success, like you might be shunned to a distant desert island if it didn't take off?

Not at all, its a really great label. It's all about longevity not so much about hype, so there's no pressure to sound like anything or anyone or too look a certain way. We're certainly not a fashion forward band. It's all about writing the best music we can and playing it the best we can, that's what is important & they support us 100%. Its fantastic!

Tell me about Paul Dempsey's support since touring with him last year?

He has been great, it's really good to have someone who you really respect, like your work. For us it was a HUGE complement as we are all Something For Kate fans as well as fans of his solo record, so touring with him was amazing. Recording the EP was as well, it helped us become a lot more confident about our musical direction, really cement ourselves to what we we're doing cause other people believed in what we where doing. Makes it all worth while!


What can we expect from Papa VS Pretty's first LP?

We've been demoing it for the past month and its sounding really cool. It's like a fully evolved version of the sound hinted at on "Heavy Harm". It sounds really big, then it gets really small. Kinda like film music, I really love film scores. That kind of musical atmosphere, but with a grungy feel mixed in with a bit of Elliott Smith and Buckley. I'm not that great at answering this type of question (whenever i do i get excited and start making all these references haha), so I guess you'll have to wait and see what it sounds like.

Lucky last, desert island top 5 records of all time?

I wish I could take 20, but OK. I picked these ones cause I always come back to them, no matter how many times I listen to them I can go back to them and they sound brand new.

From a Basement on the Hill - Elliott Smith Grace - Jeff Buckley Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - Elton John OK Computer - Radiohead The White Album - The Beatles


Catch Papa VS Pretty on a tour near you as the support Silversun Pickups and The Holidays, check the dates here.

Here is the single causing quite the ruckus on the airwaves, 'Heavy Harm'.



(image by Nirrimi Hakanson)

No comments: