Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Band To Watch - The Frowning Clouds


On a frosty eve this past winter, I was summoned by one of my trusted informants to check out a band that would surely blow my socks off. I'm often sceptical of bands that people say I will like, I often wonder if people know what music I actually do like. Every one's mate is in a band or their friend is doing sound for the 'next big thing'. Either way, I don't care. There are so many bands in Melbourne, it can often be difficult to wade through the array of mediocre acts to find something special. This was one of the few times someone wasn't talking out of their arse -- and then there was light, or at least a bunch of dudes playing instruments called The Frowning Clouds. It's been quite some time since a band got my attention quite like this.

These five Geelong lads wouldn’t surprise you if they were actually a Beatles cover band based on appearance -- haircuts and all. To quote Pavement, ‘But I don't care, I care, I really don't care, did you see the drummer's hair?’. I just dug the way they looked, maracas in hand and that's before they split the groove. The band do however stipulate that they do not do Beatles covers on their Myspace.
The first thing that came to mind when I first heard The Frowning Clouds was simply, London 1965. It's like you're taken back in time to a low-fi swinging sixties scene. Inhibitions at the door, twisting on the floor -- the music is immediately infectious. It's like you've heard it before but it's friendly not pretentious. Its attitude a sexy kitten with plenty of soul but not nearly intimidating.
So far I've recommended them to all my friends back home in the city of Sydney and friends are even traveling from the Central Coast to catch a taste of the ease and psychedelic beats of The Frowning Clouds.

I recommend you get to their nearest gig, maybe right now.
Click here for the lads Myspace for tour dates and tunes.

No comments: