Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The National Add Extra Dates


I really don't remember when or how I first discovered The National, which is pretty unusual for me. However all I know is that sometime in 2008 the five piece made an irretrievable entrance into my regular playlist and to this day still impedes my Top 25 Most Played on iTunes.

The National are easily one of my favourite bands, they cater to everything my miserable soul could lust for musically. The songs are catchy in ways but to me it's this form of poetry that really speaks to every part of me. I'm trying my hardest not to sound like a pretentious dickbag but my affair with The National is all things sacred and romantic to me.

I was unlucky to have missed the 'Boxer' tour in 2008 when the Brooklyn based boys appeared at the annual January Sydney Festival. Picture me falling to my knees in a heaps of tears. Wasn't pretty. So I guess you can gauge my reaction to the Falls Music & Arts Festival line-up this year. EEP! I was the happiest miserable girl to have ever lived. Interpol AND The National. Yes, yes., yes please. For weeks I stalked both bands websites, tour pages and googled 'sideshows' and finally I secured tickets to both acts sideshows last week. I couldn't be happier.

It was always speculated that after the success of 'High Violet', The National would play more than one show on our shores, and after the first string of shows sold out more have now been announced. I think I will go to both.

'High Violet' is so perfect. A dramatic friend of mine even said he could only listen to it once as it was so heartbreakingly beautiful. He's a drama queen, I be playin' that shit all day everyday. If you haven't heard The National before, take a hard look at yourself in the mirror and then do something about it.
Friday 7th January - The Enmore, Sydney
Saturday 8th January - The Enmore, Sydney SOLD OUT
Sunday 9th January - Palais Theatre, Melbourne SOLDOUT
Monday 10th January - Palais Theatre, Melbourne

No comments: